Below we’ve got some interesting conversation topics for your enjoyment. The conversation questions span a wide variety of conversation topics. Everything from journalism to dieting. Perfect for getting some interesting conversations started!
As time goes by we’ll probably add more topics and conversation questions but this is what we’ve got so far. Take a look and see if there is a topic you are interested in. If you can’t find anything you might try our 250 conversation starters page that also has some questions listed by topic.
List Beauty Conversation Starters
Beauty is all around us, and strangely we probably couldn’t live without it. But can beauty be defined? Maybe or maybe not, but at least you can explore the idea of beauty by having a discussion with these conversation questions about beauty.
- How have standards of beauty changed over the years?
- What makes a person beautiful to you?
- Can products be beautiful? What makes a product beautiful? What is the most beautiful product you own?
- Where is the most beautiful place you have been?
- Why do humans find things other than humans beautiful? How does it help us?
- What is the most beautiful song you have heard?
- What features make a natural area beautiful?
- What makes a piece of art beautiful to you?
- Are there any striking examples of beauty in art?
- How does the absence of beauty affect people?
- What is the most beautiful thing in your life?
- Is beauty only in the eye of the beholder, or can we say some things are universally beautiful?
List Challenges Conversation Starters
Time to talk about some of the challenges you have faced and that others have faced. We all face challenges, some more than others. Find out more about the challenges that friends and family have faced with these conversation questions.
- What are some of the biggest challenges you have faced?
- Do you enjoy overcoming challenges or do you prefer things to be easy? Why?
- What is a challenge you would never want to face?
- Do you think living in the present is more or less challenging than living in the past? Why?
- What is the most challenging job you can think of?
- Do you think that challenges improve a person’s character?
- What is the biggest challenge you are facing right now?
- What was the most challenging thing about your childhood?
- What are some big challenges that people have overcome that you have heard of?
- What are the biggest challenges your country is facing right now?
- Do you think that the challenges you have faced over your life have made you a better or worse person?
List Dieting Conversation Starters
Dieting is a pain. But even though it’s a pain, it’s incredibly common and fuels a multi-billion dollar industry. If you haven’t tried dieting, most of your friends probably have. So here are some questions about dieting, enjoy!
- What is the craziest diet you’ve heard of?
- What diets have you tried?
- Is dieting healthy or unhealthy?
- What diets are popular now?
- Is dieting an effective way to lose weight and keep it off?
- Why do you think there are so many diet trends?
- For most of history dieting to lose weight would have seemed insane. Is it a victory or a failure for our society that we have progressed to the point were we have so much food that dieting is a multi-billion dollar industry?
- Do you know anyone who has lost a lot of weight on a diet? Have they keep the weight off?
- Should businesses be allowed to make losing weight mandatory for employees who are costing the business money in missed days due to weight related health issues?
- Will there ever be a miracle weight loss solution?
List Conversation Starters about Family
You can pick your friends but for better or for worse you can’t pick your family. Take a look at some questions about your family and families in society. Just be sure to keep it civil, I don’t want to be blamed for any family arguments.
- Who in your family are you most like?
- Who is the most generous person in your family?
- Do you like going to family gatherings? Why or why not?
- How often do you see your parents? How about your extended family?
- Have you ever been to any large family reunions? How did it go?
- How important are strong family ties to you? Are strong family ties more or less important that close friendships?
- How have family roles changed from the past?
- Who is the most interesting person in your extended family?
- What would growing up in an ideal family environment look like? Do you think that anyone grew up in an ideal family environment?
- How has your family shaped your personality and who you turned out to be?
- What is the best and worst thing about your family or extended family?
List Friendship Conversation Starters
Friendship one of the most important things to have for a fulfilling life. It’s definitely hard to put a price on a good friend. Have a conversation about friendship using these questions about your friends and friendship in general.
- What quality do you value most in your friends?
- Are any of your friends completely opposite to you or are most of them similar to you?
- Do you make friends easily or do you find it difficult to make new friends?
- What are the most common reasons for friendships to fall apart?
- Who is your strangest friend? What makes them strange?
- Are you a good friend? Why or why not?
- What is the best way to meet new friends?
- What separates true friends from acquaintances?
- Who is your oldest friend? How did you meet them?
- What’s a big favor you have done for a friend? How about a big favor that a friend has done for you?
- What is the most annoying type of friend?
List Gift Conversation Starters
Everyone loves giving and receiving gifts. It’s one of those things that is common across all cultures. So here is my gift to you, I hope you enjoy these conversation questions about gifts!
- Have you ever received a strange gift? What was it?
- Who in your family gives good gifts? How about bad gifts?
- What is a creative gift you have given or received?
- Does it matter how a gift is wrapped or is it only the gift that matters?
- Is gift giving common among all human cultures? Why?
- Can you think of any examples of animals giving gifts?
- Do you enjoy shopping for gifts? Why or why not?
- Do you prefer to receive money or a gift? Why?
- What do you think of homemade gifts?
- Is it really only the thought that counts?
List Journalism Conversation Starters
Journalism helps shape how people view the world and can make or break the careers of those in the public eye. Here are some great questions delving into journalism, journalists, and the future of journalism. Enjoy!
- Is journalism dying or becoming more important?
- How do journalists serve society? Are they doing a good job of serving society now?
- Is being a journalist a respectable job?
- What platform will the next generation of journalists use?
- How much legal protection should journalists have?
- What kinds of corruption are found in journalism?
- Now anyone can be a journalist. Is this a good or bad thing? Why?
- What characteristics are important for a journalist to have?
- How can journalism be improved?
- How accountable should journalists be to making sure the news they are reporting is accurate? Should they be jailed for falsifying the news or reporting misleading news?
List Personality Conversation Starters
Our personalities are what the outside world uses to judge us and they greatly influence our interactions with others. So isn’t it worthwhile to have a conversation about something that holds so much sway over our lives?
- How would you describe your personality? How would other people describe your personality, the same or different?
- What is the best aspect of your personality? How about the worst aspect?
- What personality traits in other people do you hate?
- What personality traits make a good leader?
- What personality trait do you wish you had?
- Can a person change their personality?
- Where do our personalities come from? How much of personality is genetic and how much is from the environment?
- Which of your personality traits has been the most useful?
- How about the personalities of some of your friends and family? What are the good, bad, and strange aspects of their personalities?
- What is the most annoying personality trait someone can have?
List Space Conversation Starters
Now here is a big topic to get into! Space, the final frontier. The sheer vastness of space boggles the mind but that doesn’t mean you can’t have an interesting conversation about it! Here are some questions to get you started…
- Where would you most like to travel in space? Assuming you could go there instantly and survive the harsh conditions.
- Do you think space tourism will be big in the near future? Why or why not?
- What is the most interesting thing you know about space?
- What is the most important thing for astronomers to be researching?
- Would you ever join a mission to colonize another planet if it meant never returning to earth?
- What are some fun things you could do in zero-g?
You can use these space trivia questions to start a good conversation about space as well!
List Success and Failure Conversation Starters
We all have our successes and failures. They make us who we are and are often the lens through which people view us. Use these conversation starters to have a great conversation about success and failure.
- What is the best criteria to measure success by?
- Are there any failures in your life you are proud of?
- What is your biggest success? How about your biggest failure?
- What are some successes you’ve had in your personal life?
- What are some failures you’ve had in your professional life?
- What is the biggest lesson you’ve learned from a failure?
- Have you ever turned a failure into a win?
- Do you usually learn from your failures or do you keep repeating them?
- Who is the most successful person you know of? How about the most successful person you know personally?
- What is the most recent success you’ve had?
- What is the next big success you are working towards?
List More pages you might like
Topics to talk about – Need some more topics to discuss? Well here they are!
Questions to ask a guy / Questions to ask a girl – How about some more general questions? These are some of the best questions on our site. Feel free to pick and choose from either page, some are questions are gender specific but many aren’t.
Deep conversation topics – Ready to get serious and have a deep conversation? These questions are for you. Definitely not for casual conversation!
Truth or Dare questions – Or if you aren’t in the mood for serious questions, how about kicking it up a notch with a game of truth or dare?
Fun questions to ask – Lots of fun questions to ask anyone!